Please Login or Register!

Black Dagger Brotherhood

:: Off Topic :: Books

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Black Dagger Brotherhood

Post  Fairy on March 16th 2010, 5:52 pm

Really. What red-blooded woman couldn't appreciate Wrath? She must have no hormones whatsoever! LOL
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags on March 17th 2010, 9:19 am

She has hormones, but nary a romantic bone in sight. This is the girl who had a quickie wedding in her living room, and never bothered to call her family because she thought it "was no big deal". I think that may the whole issue, right there.
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on March 17th 2010, 9:24 am

The girl definitely has a problem.

Just sayin'

Renee
Renee
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags on March 17th 2010, 9:39 am

I'm afraid I'm the romantic in the family Love Eyes .... definitely not her. At least I've convinced her to keep going in the series.
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Only1JenB on March 17th 2010, 10:36 am

You know, my sister is the same way. She won't even start the series but she is all about Twilight. I'm sorry but I am an adult that happens to not be a virgin so teenage romance just don't do it for me. Just my view...
Only1JenB
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags on March 17th 2010, 11:14 am

Only1JenB wrote:You know, my sister is the same way. She won't even start the series but she is all about Twilight. I'm sorry but I am an adult that happens to not be a virgin so teenage romance just don't do it for me. Just my view...

I have a friend who's all about Twilight. We've just agreed to disagree, and never to discuss it again with each other. We've been friends for about 24 years, but I just can't see her facination with this series. Fortunately, my un-romantic sister also hates Twilight, so at least she has that going for her!!
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy on March 17th 2010, 6:11 pm

I read the Twilight series because my students were always reading them, and I like to keep up with what they are reading. It's a good series for teens. But I don't dream about Edward at night! LOL My man definitely doesn't sparkle!!
Viking
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Only1JenB on March 17th 2010, 9:40 pm

No honey, the only sparkle I want on my man is a 5 carat diamond that he is putting on my hand. M
I will take my BV or BDBH over Edward anyday!!
Only1JenB
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags on March 22nd 2010, 1:06 pm

I put in a tentative date for the BDBH announcement thread of this Sunday, March 8/10 8 p.m. est for Lover Enshrined.

Is this OK with you guys? :?:
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on March 23rd 2010, 9:56 am

This afternoon when I get home from work I'm planning to settle in and get Phury's story on the go. If I run into any snags I'll let you know but as things stand I should be good to go on Sunday.

Renee
Renee
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Only1JenB on March 23rd 2010, 10:15 am

Awesome, I'll be there!
Only1JenB
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

OMG OMG OMG

Post  Only1JenB on March 23rd 2010, 3:30 pm

There is a virtual signing of Lover Mine

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Only1JenB
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy on March 23rd 2010, 8:38 pm

Only1JenB wrote:No honey, the only sparkle I want on my man is a 5 carat diamond that he is putting on my hand. M
I will take my BV or BDBH over Edward anyday!!

We are definitely on the same page Jen. Twisted Evil
Viking
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy on March 25th 2010, 10:51 pm

Looking forward to Sunday's chat. About when we finish the chat, we should be able to see the next little preview of S3. We can all ooo and goo together!
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags on March 26th 2010, 9:22 am

Not Renee and I... HBO in Canada SUCKS. We don't get those previews. But, you can describe them for us in vivid detail, please!

And - my annoying sister who wasn't into the BDBH has finally seen the light!! She hit Z's story, and now she's hooked. I believe she's onto V right now. I knew she'd come around!
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy on March 26th 2010, 6:53 pm

Yep, it was only a matter of time for her Sugar. If Z or V couldn't hold her, then what could? (except Eric or Bill!)
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Only1JenB on March 26th 2010, 10:07 pm

Yes! All it takes is a little Z!!
Only1JenB
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on March 27th 2010, 12:47 am

The report of Lover Enshrined is finished and waiting for your perusal on Sunday.

Renee
Renee
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags on March 27th 2010, 6:34 am

Renee, you ROCK!! Rock On

See y'all Sunday night!!
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy on March 27th 2010, 6:42 pm

Thanks Renee. See you all Sunday night.
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on March 28th 2010, 3:07 am

What time are we doing this? 8pm Eastern?

Renee
Renee
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags on March 28th 2010, 8:24 am

I think so!! Is that OK for you?
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on March 28th 2010, 8:54 am

Sure, it's no problem. Actually it will be 9:30 my time but I don't mind in the slightest. LOL

Renee
Renee
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on March 28th 2010, 5:27 pm

At long last, and with much trepidation here it is................ Phury's story.

Lover Enshrined

Exhile Dhoble - The evil or cursed twin. The second born.

This is book 6 in J. R. Ward’s paranormal series The Black Dagger Brotherhood first released in 2008. This novel continues the development of the Vampire race that was first introduced with the release of Dark Lover and the warriors that protect their hidden world and the Blind King. At the core of this novel is Phury, second son of Aghony and twin of the warrior Zadist, and his struggle to find his own place within the hidden world and it’s society which has afforded him little comfort from the time of his birth.

To understand Phury we must first consider the society that spawned this beautiful warrior, as damaged in his own right as his brother Zadist.
Phury was the second born son, an infant who was cursed from the moment he drew his first breath according to the beliefs of the glymera, the aristocracy into which he was born,. This society allowed an innocent child to bear the responsibility of the choices by the adults surrounding him, steeping his essence in the acidic soup of shame and guilt not of his making.

Laid at this infant child’s feet was the responsibility of his elder twin’s abduction and subsequent sale into servitude mere months after their birth. Phury bore the failure of his parents to rescue the infant Zadist, the loss of their father to addiction, and the rejection of his mother as she allowed her mourning of the loss of the first born son to relegate her remaining child to oblivion as she turned her face to the wall.

The result of this history is a male who carries a burden of guilt to such an extent that he disassociates himself from all things that could possibly give him joy and peace. Even after he accomplishes the impossible and finds the lost half of his soul, his twin, rescuing him from a horrible fate as a blood slave, he cannot allow himself to release his pain. Not even the sacrifice of his own leg during that rescue eases his pain. Phury continues to impose intense strictures upon his personal life. He embraces celibacy as a form of penance while seeking to escape the torment of his own creation by allowing himself to sink into the horror of drug addiction. The addiction introduces us to the Wizard, the voice of the tormentor within. It is through the monolog of the Wizard that we begin to understand what has created the complex being that is Phury.

In many ways it is not surprising that Phury embraced the role of Primale, the progenitor of the vampire race in the Scribe Virgin’s plane of existence. His decision to accept the role was an effort to save his warrior brother Vishous from the position, which would have forced him to leave his lover Jane. This represents an extreme sacrifice for the celibate brother. This decision also brings other changes to Phury’s being. Cormia, the first Chosen of forty, enters his life and his heart.

Cormia is beautiful and innocent, a product of the Scribe Virgin’s group of female acolytes. The Chosen exist to serve the brotherhood through the bearing of young, guiding males through their transitions, as well as meeting the blood needs of unmated males or males such as Rhage and Vishous whose shellans are not of the vampire race. Cormia has lived in a world without color, following the strictures of the path she was placed upon as an infant, never permitted to grow beyond the halls of the Other Side. Once she becomes the first Chosen, Phury brings her to the Brotherhood’s compound where she gradually discovers her individuality as she assimilates into their world. Cormia, Phury discovers, has a brilliant mind that allows her to view the world of the brotherhood from both sides of the planes taking from both to create a woman with great ability to grasp the bewilderingly complex needs of the brother who is to be her mate.

The love story between these two beings does not have an easy path. Phury, trapped within his anguish and drug addiction, is unable to understand his feelings for the lovely Cormia. He fights his growing attraction, attempting to divert her attentions to John Matthew who, although he is attracted, is very taken with Xhex the body guard and close friend as well as assistant to Bella’s brother Rhevenge. Eventually Phury cannot avoid his urge to bond with Cormia and they come together in an intense moment that, instead of forging a bond that cannot be broken, pushes them further apart as Phury replaces Cormia as First Chosen.

Phury’s drug addiction is growing in intensity as well, he is hurtling towards his own destruction, alienating all those around him to the point that he no longer has the ability to function effectively within the brotherhood as he allows his long suppressed rage full reign on the lessers he encounters. Defying the orders of Wrath, his king, to cease this behavior Phury finally stretches Wrath’s good will to the breaking point leading to his suspension from active duty within the brotherhood. His self pity eventually leads to a major confrontation with Zadist who refuses to accept his excuses for his behavior with the logical response that Zadist himself has suffered as much or more than Phury himself. It is then that Phury finally hurtles towards the blackness of rock bottom and a near death experience.

With nowhere else to turn, Phury enters the Scribe Virgin’s world to accept his place as Primale while Cormia, who has returned to the other world, is sequestered in the Temple of Scribes. Phury cannot mate with the current chosen and in actuality collapses, wracked by the terrible symptoms of withdrawal that follow the sudden cessation of his drug use. He is fortunate that Cormia sees his plight as she scries the future and rushes to his side. Her compassion and innate understanding as well as her love for him enables her to guide him through the rigors of withdrawal and sees him safely whole at the end.

It is during his recovery that Phury realizes that the traditions that have been followed throughout the ages are no longer applicable to their society and are in fact assisting in the bringing about of it’s downfall. He approaches the Scribe Virgin with a proposition that will alter the course of the societies history and possibly assist in the continuation of their race with Cormia at his side as his shellan.

Secondary to Phury and Cormia’s story is the conflict occurring between the brothers in training each of whom has unresolved issues that effect those closest to them.

John Matthew carries with him the trauma of his early life, the death of his foster mother Wellsie and the loss of his mentor and foster father Tohrment.

Qhuinn, one of JM’s closest companions deals daily with the veiled rejection of his family though no fault of his own. He is imperfect within the guidelines of the glymera as he has heterochromia, meaning his eyes are different colors. Qhuinn copes with this by immersing himself in the blatant sexuality that is part of the lifestyle of the unmated brotherhood. He is loyal to his friends who are in actuality his true family.

Blay is the third member of the group and of the three has the most stable of families. He is loved and has been loved since his birth, however Blay has a secret. Blay is gay and loves only one other being, his friend Qhuinn.

Finally, Lash, one of the nastiest and most entitled of the young transitioned males, uses his position within Haver’s medical clinic to access the files of his nemesis John Matthew. It is unfortunate that he finds some information that can destroy JM, leaving his life in shambles. Lash gleefully threatens to expose JM to the entire social strata of the vampire world. While toying with John Matthew, Lash steps beyond all lines of propriety forcing Qhuinn to defend his friend with deadly force.

It is this deadly force that is the catalyst of many happenings within the vampire’s world. Qhuinn is immediately taken to task, facing possible charges of murder, his family uses this reason to formally disenfranchise the youngest and less than perfect son. He is ritually beaten near to death by his eldest brother and is saved only by the appearance of his two true friends. During his investigation into the incident John Matthew confesses to Wrath the reason for Qhuinn’s attack leading the king to place the title of abstrux nohtrum upon the young warrior in training, effectively removing all threat of prosecution in the death of Lash.

We learn that Lash is the true child of the Omega, the god head of the Lessening society, and with his death the Omega resurrects him with a piece of his body within his breast. Lash however, is not an ordinary lesser, he remains vampire and something more, he has the ability to eat, more importantly he is not impotent as all other lessers. Given his proclivities towards evil, Lash embraces what he has become and begins the systematic slaughter of the vampire society starting with the family that raised him from infancy. Fortunately, Lash is seen by the Brothers so they have knowledge that the Omega has another and very powerful weapon although they are unaware of the ramifications of his existence.

Lover Enshrined cannot be considered complete without acknowledging the existence of Rhevenge, brother of Bella. We learn that Rhev carries a secret that is costing him dearly in wealth and self respect, a secret that could possibly shatter his world and the world of those who work within his world as well as those who love him, often one and the same. We also learn that he has a compassionate spirit and a good soul as he helps broker the reunion of the missing Tohr with the brotherhood through the fallen angel Lassiter, a new and intriguing being that has been added to the vampire mystique.

As always we are left with questions and wanting more as we move onto the next story in the history of the Brotherhood, the story of Rhevenge in Lover Avenged

Respectfully Submitted,
Renee
Renee
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy on March 28th 2010, 7:35 pm

Outstanding job, Renee. Thanks, especially because we know Phury is not your favorite!
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top